20 Mar A. Shareholders Structure
I. CAPITAL STRUCTURE
1. CAPITAL STRUCTURE
EDP Renováveis, S.A. (hereinafter referred to as EDP Renováveis, EDPR or the Company) total share capital is, since its initial public offering (IPO) in June 2008, EUR 4,361,540,810 consisting of issued and fully paid 872,308,162 shares with nominal value of EUR 5.00 each. All the shares are part of a single class and series and are admitted to trading on the NYSE Euronext Lisbon regulated market.
Codes and tickers of EDP Renováveis SA share:
ISIN: ………………………………………. ES0127797019
Bloomberg Ticker (NYSE Euronext Lisbon): …. EDPR PL
Reuters RIC: ………………………………………. EDPR.LS
EDPR main shareholder is EDP – Energias de Portugal, S.A., through EDP – Energias de Portugal, S.A. – Sucursal en España (hereinafter referred as “EDP”), with 77.5% of share capital and voting rights. Excluding EDP Group, EDPR shareholders comprise more than 65,000 institutional and private investors spread across 23 countries with main focus in the United States and United Kingdom.
Institutional Investors represent 92% of Company shareholders (ex-EDP Group), mainly investment funds and socially responsible investors (“SRI”), while Private Investors, mostly Portuguese, stand for 8%.
For further information about EDPR shareholder structure please see chapter 1.3 Organization.
2. RESTRICTIONS TO THE TRANSFERABILITY OF SHARES
EDPR’s Articles of Association have no restrictions on the transferability of shares.
3. OWN SHARES
EDPR does not hold own shares.
4. CHANGE OF CONTROL
EDPR has not adopted any measures designed to prevent successful takeover bids.
The Company has taken no defensive measures for cases of a change in control in its shareholder structure.
EDPR has not entered into any agreements subject to the condition of a change in control of the Company, other than in accordance with normal practice. In the case of financing of certain wind farm projects, lenders have the right to approve change in control at the borrower if the later ceased to be controlled, directly or indirectly, by EDPR. In the case of guarantees provided by EDP Group companies, if EDP, directly or indirectly ceases to have the majority of EDPR then EDP is no longer obliged to provide such services or guarantees. The relevant subsidiaries will be obliged to provide for the cancellation or replacement of all outstanding guarantees within sixty (60) days of the change of control event.
In the cases of intra-group services agreements and according to the Framework Agreement signed between EDP Renováveis S.A. and EDP Energias de Portugal S.A., the contracts will maintain their full force as long as EDP maintains its share capital above 50% or the right to exercise directly or indirectly more than 50% of voting rights on EDPR’s share capital. Even if the share capital of EDP or its voting rights are below 50%, the contract is maintained as long as more than half of the Members of the Board or of EDPR’s Executive Committee are elected through an EDP proposal.
5. SPECIAL AGREEMENTS REGIME
EDPR does not have a system for the renewal or withdrawal of counter measures particularly to provide for the restriction on the number of votes capable of being held or exercised by only one shareholder individually or together with other shareholders.
6. SHAREHOLDERS AGREEMENTS
The Company is not aware of any shareholders’ agreement that may result in restrictions on the transfer of securities or voting rights.
II. SHAREHOLDINGS AND BONDS HELD
7. QUALIFIED HOLDINGS
Qualifying holdings in EDPR are subject to the Spanish Law, which regulates the criteria and thresholds of the shareholder’s holdings. Pursuant to the Article 125, of the Spanish Securities Market Law (“Ley de Mercado de Valores”) EDPR is providing the following information on qualifying holdings and their voting rights as of December 31st 2016.
As of December 31st 2016, the following qualified holdings were identified:
As of December 31st 2016, EDPR’s shareholder structure consisted of a total qualified shareholding of 80.6%, with EDP and MFS Investment Management detaining 77.5% and 3.1% of EDPR capital respectively.
8. SHARES HELD BY THE MEMBERS OF THE MANAGEMENT AND SUPERVISORY BOARDS
The table below reflects the number of EDPR shares owned, directly or indirectly, by the Board Members, as of December 31st 2016. The transactions of shares by EDPR’s Board Members are reported to the regulatory and supervisory entities (CMVM – Comissão de Mercado de Valores Mobiliários – in Portugal and CNMV – Comisión Nacional del Mercado de Valores – in Spain).
9. POWERS OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The Board of Directors is vested with the broadest powers to manage, supervise and govern the Company, with no other limitations besides the powers expressly granted to the exclusive jurisdiction of General Meetings in Article 13 of the Company’s Articles of Association or in the applicable law. Within this context, the Board is empowered to:
- Acquire on a lucrative or onerous title basis personal and real property, rights, shares and interests that may suit the Company;
- Sell and mortgage or charge personal and real property, rights, shares and interests of the Company and cancel mortgages and other rights in rem;
- Negotiate and conclude as many loans and credit operations as it may deem appropriate;
- Enter and formalize all sorts of acts or contracts with public entities or private persons;
- Exercise civil and criminal actions and all further actions to be undertaken by the Company, representing it before governmental officers, authorities, corporations, governing, administrative, administrative-economic, administrative-litigation and judicial courts, labor courts and the labor sections (“Juzgados de lo Social y Salas de lo Social”) of the Supreme Court and of the High Courts of the Autonomous Communities, with no limitations whatsoever, including before the European Court of Justice, and in general before the Government, in all its levels and hierarchies; to intervene or promote, follow and terminate, through all procedures and instances, the processes, court sections or proceedings; to accept decisions, to file any kind of appeal, including the cassation and other extraordinary appeals, to discontinue or confess, to agree an early termination of a proceeding, to submit litigious questions to arbitration judges, and to carry out all sorts of notices and requirements and to grant a Power of Attorney to Court Representatives and other representatives, with the case-related powers and the powers which are usually granted to litigation cases and all the special powers applicable, and to revoke such powers;
- Agree the allotment of dividends;
- Call and convene General Meetings and submit to them the proposals that it deem appropriate;
- Direct the Company and organize its operations and exploitations by acknowledging the course of the Company businesses and operations, managing the investment of funds, making extraordinary depreciations of bonds in circulation and realizing anything that it is considered appropriate to obtain maximum gains towards the object of the Company;
- Freely appoint and dismiss Directors and all the Company’s technical and administrative personnel, defining their office and their retribution;
- Agree any changes of the registered office’s address within the same borough;
- Incorporate under the law all sorts of legal persons; contribute and assign all sorts of assets and rights, as well as entering merger and cooperation agreements, association, grouping and temporary union agreements between companies or businesses and joint property agreements and agreeing their alteration, transformation and termination;
- All further powers expressly granted to the Board in these Articles or in the applicable law. This list is without limitations and has a mere indicative nature.
- As of April 9th 2015, the General Shareholders’ Meeting approved the delegation to the Board of Directors of the power to issue in one or more occasions any:
- Fixed income securities or other debt instruments of analogous nature, as well as
- Fixed income securities or other type of securities (warrants included) convertible or exchangeable into EDP Renováveis, S.A. shares, or that recognize, at the Board of Directors’ discretion, the right of subscription or acquisition of shares of EDP Renováveis, S.A., or of other companies, up to a maximum amount of three hundred million Euros (EUR 300,000,000) or its equivalent in other currency.
As part of such delegation, the General Shareholder’s Meeting delegated into the Board of Directors the power to increase the share capital up to the necessary amount to execute the power above. Additionally, it was also approved to authorize the Board of Directors for the acquisition of own shares by the Company and/or the affiliate companies. These delegations may be exercised by the Board of Directors within a period of five (5) years since the proposal was approved, and within the limits provided under the law and the By-Laws.
Additionally, the General Shareholders’ Meeting may also delegate to the Board of Directors the power to implement an adopted decision to increase the share capital, indicating the date or dates of its implementation and establishing any other conditions that have not been specified by the General Shareholders’ Meeting. The Board of Directors may use this delegation wholly or partially and may also decide not to perform it in consideration of the conditions of the Company, the market, or any particularly relevant events or circumstances that justify said decision, of which the General Shareholders’ Meeting must be informed at the end of the time limit or limits for performing it.
10. SIGNIFICANT BUSINESS RELATIONSHIPS BETWEEN THE HOLDERS OF QUALIFYING HOLDINGS AND THE COMPANY
Information on any significant business relationships between the holders of qualifying holdings and the Company is described on topic 90 of this Report.